Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Week 3 power rankings Part 1: The Shitty ones

Things have been a bit rough in the Shoaf household lately.  My wife wants a dog...but not just any dog.  She fell in love with a rescue dog with 3 legs.  I really don't have a desire to have a dog right now, and if I did, I would prefer it to have more than 3 legs.  But, when the wife puts her foot down...there's not much I can do.  I refused to go see the dog, so she took her ENTIRE family with her instead.  Then the foster parents of the dog emailed me this video:



I think it's safe to say that I'll be getting a dog.

I never finished writeups for weeks 2 and 3, so I'm going to do some power rankings instead (they're more fun to write).  I'll be releasing them in 3 part installments:  First up, in honor of my future 3 legged dog: the shitty teams.

Bottom of the barrel: Blickly, Steuber, Trey and Beb
12.  Boys on Boats 0-3 (Blick; post draft ranking of 10).
I think I was pretty on the mark with my post-draft analysis of this team.  Chris Johnson is awesome; the rest of this team is garbage.  However, he did swing the trade for Deangelo, which has netted him 13.8 pts over the last two weeks.  Yay!  The team still sucks.  Being in Costa Rica for the draft hurts.  He's 0-3 and 11th in the league in scoring.  It was easy to slot him into 12th.  I will admit, however, that his 95 points in week 3 were an improvement.  Too bad he had to run into the juggernaut that is Fat Wolverine.

11.  Steuberleague  0-3 (post draft ranking of 9).
In the draft, Steuber went all in with Brees, but then didn't really spend much on other guys...which is pretty much what his team has been doing.  Brees is fine, and Maclin has a great week 3, but his team isn't getting it done.  However, it might have something to do with the fact that he kept knowshon in his lineup even though he wasn't playing.   Dumbass ownership.  Winless and 10th in the league in scoring.  Easy choice for #11.

10.  The Warfishes The Warfishes 0-3 (Trey; post draft ranking of 2).
Wow, I was way off on this one.  After the draft, I really liked this team: peyton, sjax, Beanie Wells, Fitz...but of the 4, only Peyton has done his thing.  Beanie's been hurt ( but had a good week 3), sjax still plays for the Rams (who are still sucky even though they beat the skins last week), and Fitz is crying for Kurt.  Trey, it's time to swing a trade.  You're winless and  9th in the league in scoring.

9.  Manning and Me 1-2 (Beb; post draft ranking of 6).
So, beb's team has been awful.  He's LAST in the league in scoring.  Shonn Greene has been garbage.  Michael Turner has been hurt.  His two qb's are eli manning and carson palmer...just unspeakably bad.  However, this is a head to head league, and beb has 1 more win (against Blick of course) than Trey, Steuber, and Blick.  So, he gets to be #9 in the power poll, but still included in the shitty tier of teams.

8 comments:

the beb said...

don't get me wrong, eli blows, but unspeakably bad might be an overstatement. there are 8 qbs drafted in our league with less points than him, including some prob still considered decent and being used in fantasy like flacco, favre, henne, vince young and alex smith.

Big Cat said...

As long as you are comparing Eli and palmer with qb's such as vince young and Alex smith...my point is made.

the beb said...

i eagerly await your comments on your own donovan mcnabb who you start every week and is averaging 2 pts more a week than eli.

would you call that almost speakably bad?

also dois is our high scorer and he starts alex smith.

just saying, i think you overstated his suckiness a bit.

Big Cat said...

Well, I don't really do "research" when i write these. I just shoot from the hip. Much like Vince Young, I just win football games.

Commandant Lassard said...

if these are truly power rankings, then beb's one win shouldn't get him anything. it should be based on the strength of his team, which you seem to think is worse than 9th. i believe that rankings based on record are referred to as "Standings," and i can see those by clicking on the so-named tab at the tob of our league page. stand by your convictions, willy: if beb's team is unspeakably bad, then rank them that way.

also: good job blogging this year while lassard snoozes.

Commandant Lassard said...

also, flacco was the shit this week so keep his name out yo mouth, beb.

Big Cat said...

Excellent point, viche. However in these power rankings (maybe I should use another title?), I feel like I have to take record into account somewhat. In a short fantasy season, every win counts. So even if you have a great team, you can miss the playoffs...and I don't care how awesome your team is...if you miss the playoffs, you have no power.

dois said...

alex smith was really pretty good in week 2. but now that i've read your blog comment, bernier, i have dropped his sorry ass. bring on the sam bradford era. hey - if he can torch the skins he must be fantasy hotness.